Search This Blog

Thursday 15 November 2018

Quotes Nov 16

The pith, the essence of faith, lies in this— a casting oneself on the promise.-- Charles Spurgeon

Prayer does need outside itself because it proofs are within. It is in the nature and function of man, like breathing, eating and drinking, and he practices it as part of his very being. -Samuel Johnson, quoted in Iskander Jadeed, How do we pray, P. 3

When I first entered upon my labours in the ministry I took special notice all everyone was humbled, reformed or converted; but when I had laboured long, if pleased God that the converts were so many, hat I could not afford time for such particular observation ... Families and considerable numbers at once ... came in and grow up I scarce knew how. - Richard Baxter  in J I Packer, A man for all ministries, p10

My soul is with the congregation of the first-born, my body rests in hope, and if here I may nonour my God either by doing or by suffering, I shall be most glad. - Oliver Cromwell, letter, 13 October 1638,  Quoted in John Broome, Oliver Cromwell A vindication, p.1

No comments:

Post a Comment