Search This Blog

Monday 4 October 2010

Thou are preparing joy for me and me for joy;
I pray for joy, wait for joy, long for joy;
Give me more than I can hold, desire, or think of.
Measure out to me my times and degrees of joy,
at my work, business, duties.
If I weep at night, give me joy in the morning.
Let me rest in the thought of thy love,
pardon for sin, my title to heaven,
my future unspotted state. - A Bennett, Valley of Vision)

A Lottery is a Taxation,
Upon all the Fools in Creation;
And Heav’n be praised,
It is easily raised,
Credulity’s always in Fashion:
For, Folly’s a Fund,
Will Never Lose Ground,
While Fools are so rife in the Nation.
Henry Fielding, "The Lottery", 1731

A good upbringing means not that you won't spill sauce on the tablecloth, but that you won't notice it when someone else does.- Anton Pavlovich Chekhov, 1860 - 1904

It's when we start working together that the real healing takes place, ... It's when we start spilling our sweat, and not our blood.- David Hume, 1711 - 1776

He who distributes the milk of human kindness cannot help but spill a little on himself.- James Matthew Barrie, 1860 - 1937

No comments:

Post a Comment