Search This Blog

Friday 1 October 2010

There came a gentle tapping ‘let me in!’
I opened and beheld a very little sin.
He entered with apologies and scarcely raised his eyes
As if abashed to contemplate tempting one so wise.
I found myself amused at this and set out to explore
This little cunning sin I’d let inside my door.
I petted him and teased him and gave him bread and wine,
Grew fond of him, then adopted him, this little sin of mine.
He twined around my heartstrings and grew so very dear
I loved him and assured myself he was too small to fear.
He soon spied out my weakness and therein was the rub,
He built himself a treadmill, my weakness at the hub.
With every revolution my darling little sin
Enlarged himself and multiplied over and over again.
At last he stooped and lifted me and placed me on his knee,
Now he is my besetting sin and makes a pet of me.
-- credited to Irene Holsted

The best Christian is still a poor Christian - R.B. Kuiper

Whatever your heart clings to and confides in, that is really your God- Martin Luther

The Kingdom must be advanced not merely extensively, but also intensively. The Church must seek to conquer not merely every man for Christ, but also the whole of man - Greg Bahnsen

Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin, and desire nothing but God, and I care not a straw whether they be clergymen or laymen; such alone will shake the gates of hell and set up the kingdom of heaven on earth. -John Wesley

No comments:

Post a Comment