Search This Blog

Sunday 12 August 2018

Quotes 13 Aug

I had then and at other times, the greatest delight in the holy scriptures of any book whatsoever. Oftentimes in reading it, every word seemed to touch my heart.  I felt a harmony between something in my heart, and those sweet and powerful words. I seemed often to see so much light exhibited by every sentence, and such a refreshing food communicated, that I could not get along in reading; often dwelling long on one sentence, to see the wonders contained in it; and yet almost every sentence seemed to be full of wonders. -  'Personal Narrative' in The Works of Jonathan Edwards, volume 16, Letters and Personal writings, Yale University press 1998, Page 801

 I think people have spoken much rubbish about that event
[9/11]. The poor revenging themselves on the rich! It's nothing but an
aspect of religious hatred. And that is so hard to deal with, or even
contemplate. You can deal with the poor striking out, but you can't
deal with the threat of a universal religious war.
         -- V. S. Naipaul, interview, The Times, 2002

Good communication is stimulating as black coffee,
and just as hard to sleep after.
     --Anne Morrow Lindbergh (1906-2001)
      _Gift From The Sea_ [1955], "Argonauta"

No comments:

Post a Comment