Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 May 2019

Quotes May 8

There is not even a single prodigal son in the
entire family who did ever say, "I will arise, and
go unto my Father" till first the Father's grace,
veiling itself in the afflicting providence of a
mighty famine, had taught the prodigal the
miserable results of sin.
     --C. H. Spurgeon (1834-1892)
      _Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit_, Volume 11 [1865]

I know without a doubt that it's the hand of God
that's brought me through a lot of my self-
destructive times.
I can almost hear Him say, "Not yet, Cash.  I'm not
through with you yet."  He'd straighten me out and
slap me. --Johnny Cash (1932-2003)
(In Raymond Obstfeld's _Twang: The Ultimate
 Book of Country Music Quotations_ [1997],
 "Homespun Truth & Spirituality")

Drug taking is a last man's way of pursuing happiness and wisdom, andd the short cut turns out to be the deadest of dead ends. -  -Theodore Dalrymple, Our Culture What's Left of It, p225

No comments:

Post a Comment