Search This Blog

Friday 9 July 2010

10 Jul 10

Man is never sufficiently touched and affected by the awareness of his lowly state until he has compared himself with God's majesty. - John Calvin

The nearer to God--the more we discover our depravity, the more we loathe
ourselves, and the more precious does the person and work of Jesus
become! - James Smith

Fix my thoughts, my hopes, and my desires, upon heaven and
heavenly things; teach me to despise the world, to repent me
deeply for my sins; give me holy purposes of amendment, and
[spiritual] strength and assistances to perform faithfully
whatsoever I shall intend piously. Enrich my understanding with
an eternal treasure of Divine Truths, that I may know thy will:
and thou, who workest in us to will and to do of Thy good
pleasure, teach me to obey all Thy commandments, to believe all
Thy revelations, and make me partaker of all Thy gracious
promises.-Jeremy Taylor (1613-1667), Holy Living [1650], in The
Whole Works of the Right Rev. Jeremy Taylor, D.D., v. III, London: Longman, Brown, Green & Longmans, 1847, p. 34

No comments:

Post a Comment