Search This Blog

Monday 8 November 2010

When it comes to finding available men in Minnesota, the odds are good, but the goods are odd.- Garrison Keillor

Intelligence is like four-wheel drive. It only allows you to get stuck in more remote places.- Garrison Keillor

I never knew all there was in the Bible until I spent those years in jail. I was constantly finding new treasures.-John Bunyan (1628-1688), quoted in A Treasury of Sermon Illustrations, Charles Langworthy Wallis, ed., Abingdon-Cokesbury Press, 1950, p. 27

The doctrine of Christ crucified is the strength of a Minister. I, for one, would not be without it for all the world. I would feel like a soldier without arms, like an artist without his pencil, like a pilot without his compass, like a laborer without his tools. Let others, if they will, preach the law and morality; let others hold forth the terrors of hell, and the joys of heaven; let others dwell on the sacraments and the Church. Give me the cross of Christ. This is the only lever which has ever turned the world upside down up to this point, and made men forsake their sins: and if this will not, nothing will.~ J.C. Ryle, Tract: Christ Crucified

How is the will of God done in heaven? Sadly? Burdensomely? Begrudgingly? No! It is done gladly! If I then pray, “Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven,” how can I not be motivated by a desire to be glad? It is a contradiction to pray for the will of God to be done in my life the way it is done in heaven, and then to say I am indifferent to whether I am glad or not. When the earth rejoices to do His will and does it perfectly, His will shall be done on earth as it is in heaven.-John Piper,Desiring God, p. 140-41

No comments:

Post a Comment