Search This Blog

Tuesday 23 April 2019

Quotes Apr 23

You have conquered, Galilean.
     --Julian (332-363)
      (In Theodoret's _Ecclesiastical History_ [c. 429];
       Book 3, Chapter 20)

Has this world been so kind to you that you should leave with regret?
There are better things ahead than any we leave behind.
     --C.S. Lewis (1898-1963)

It is well, I die hard, but I am not afraid to go.
     --George Washington (1732-1799)
      (Last words; December 14, 1799)

Like anybody, I would like to live a long life.  Longevity has its
place.  But I'm not concerned about that now.  I just want to do
God's will.  And He's allowed me to go up to the mountain.  And
I've looked over, and I've seen the promised land.  I may not get
there with you, but I want you to know tonight that we as a people
will get to the promised land . . . . So I'm happy tonight.  I'm not
worried about anything.  I'm not fearing any man.
     --Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-1968)
      _Address to sanitation workers, Memphis, Tennessee_
       [April 3, 1968], (The night before his assassination)

The soul-stirring image of death is no bugbear to the sage, and is
looked on without despair by the pious.  It teaches the former to
live, and it strengthens the hopes of the latter in salvation in the
midst of distress.  Death is new life to both.
     --Johann Wolfgang von Goethe (1749-1832)
      _Herman and Dorothea_ [1797]

No comments:

Post a Comment