Search This Blog

Saturday 4 September 2010

The providence of God is the unceasing activity of the Creator whereby, inoverflowing bounty and goodwill, He upholds His creatures in ordered existence,guides and governs all events, circumstances, and free acts of angels and men, and directs everything to its appointed goal, for His own glory. -JI Packer

Almighty and most merciful Father, I again appear in Thy
presence the wretched misspender of another year which Thy
mercy has allowed me. O Lord, let me not sink into total
depravity, look down upon me, and rescue me at last from the
captivity of sin. Impart to me good resolutions, and give me
strength and perseverance to perform them. Take not from me Thy
Holy Spirit, but grant that I may redeem the time lost, and
that by temperance and diligence, by sincere repentance and
faithful obedience, I may finally attain everlasting happiness,
for the sake of Jesus Christ our Lord.- Samuel Johnson (1709-1784), Prayers and Meditations,London: Verner, Hood, and Sharpe, 1806, Jan. 1, 1766, p. 53-54

Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.- Siddhartha Gautama, 563 - 483 BC

We all walk in the dark and each of us must learn to turn on his or her own light - Earl Nightingale, 1921 - 1989

The lights of stars that were extinguished ages ago still reaches us. So it is with great men who died centuries ago, but still reach us with the radiations of their personalities. - Kahlil Gibran, 1883 - 1931

Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself. - Desiderius Erasmus, 1466 - 1536


There is strong shadow where there is much light. - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe, 1749 - 1832

No comments:

Post a Comment