Search This Blog

Wednesday 28 February 2018

Quotes 28 Feb

The Christian mind has lo these many years been pretty well switched off as far as ordinary life is concerned. ...Of course in religion and morals it has tried to do its own cooking; but across the rest of life - schooling, housing, marrying; working, playing, spending- it has been content to buy whatever packaged mixes were available on the shelves of the secular idea market. - Robert Farrar Capon, Bed and Board, p 33

Keep constantly in mind the saying, "The eye is not 
satisfied with seeing, nor the ear filled with 
hearing."  Strive to withdraw your heart from the 
love of visible things, and direct your affections 
to things invisible.  For those who follow only 
their natural inclinations defile their conscience, 
and lose the grace of God. 
     --Thomas A' Kempis (1380-1471) 
      _The Imitation Of Christ_ [c. 1420]; Book 1, Chapter 1 

The philosopher Plato said that those who love and seek wisdom are 
clinging in recollection (or remembrance) to things that they once had 
seen. On many occasions in my life I have had the need to say, and 
thankfully have been able to say: I know what a good worker is; I know 
what an honest man is; I know what friendship is; I know because I 
remember these things in the person of my father, in the person of his 
friend Hora, and in the example of their friendship. 
== Raimond Gaita [on his father Romulus Gaita], "Romulus my father", 

We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and 
to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful 
and his children smart. 
== H. L. Mencken, Minority Report : H.L. Mencken's Notebooks, 1956 

Every head turned, and the teacher stared, aghast. "How dare you say 
such a thing?" he demanded. "I dare say anything," I replied more 
cheerfully, "because I have a fast horse."  Several of the students 
laughed, and one shouted, "Well spoken, soldier!" "Have you no 
reverence?" the teacher demanded.     "I have reverence for all who 
ask questions and seek honest answers."  "A philosopher!" laughed a 
student. "A wanderer in search of answers," I said, then to the 
teacher, "You asked if I have reverence? I have reverence for truth, 
but I do not know what truth is. I suspect there are many truths, and 
therefore, I suspect all who claim to have 'the' truth." Walking my 
horse a few steps closer, I added, "I have reverence for the inquirer, 
for the seeker. I have no reverence for those who accept any idea, 
mine included, without question." "You are a heretic!" he threatened. 
"I am a pagan, and a pagan cannot be a heretic." "You ride an infidel 
horse." "My horse has never committed herself, but judging by her 
attitude on a frosty morning, she is an unbeliever." There were 
subdued chuckles, and the teacher's eyes narrowed. "You ridicule the 
Church," he threatened. "Who mentioned the Church? On the contrary, I 
have great respect for religion. My objection is to those who are 
against so many things and for so little." 
==Louis L'Amour, Walking Drum 

No comments:

Post a Comment