Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 May 2017

Quotes 17 May 17

Does God perform all things for his people? Do not distrust Him then when new or great difficulties arise.   John Flavel

I can, if you will let me, lay claim to one little modest negative virtue. I have always been free from envy. In the year 1900 I had been considered a rather clever and amusing young man, but I felt no pang whatsoever at finding myself cut out at my own game by a sudden new-comer, named G. K. Chesterton, who was obviously far more amusing than I, and obviously a man of genius into the bargain. ~ Max Beerbohm, Lytton Strachey, 1943

O the excellency of the knowledge of Christ! It will be growing upon us through time, yea, I believe through eternity.- John Newton‏ @john__newton

The most dangerous leap is the leap to conclusions.~ Woodrow Kroll

The ideal the French Revolution set before it was not merely a change in the French social system but nothing short of a regeneration of the whole human race. It created an atmosphere of missionary fervor and, indeed, assumed all the aspects of a religious revival—much to the consternation of contemporary observers. It would perhaps be truer to say that it developed into a species of religion. - Alexis de Tocqueville, The Old Regime and the Revolution, 1856

No comments:

Post a Comment