Search This Blog

Sunday 14 May 2017

Quotes 15 May 17

Do not mock the Gospels and say there is no Satan.
Evil is too real in the world to say that.  Do not say
the idea of Satan is dead and gone.  Satan never
gains so many cohorts, as when, in his shrewdness,
he spreads the rumor that he is long since dead.
Do not reject the Gospel because it says the Savior
was tempted.  Satan always tempts the pure--the
others are already his.  Satan stations more devils
on monastery walls than in dens of iniquity, for
the latter offer no resistance.
Do not say it was absurd that Satan should appear to
Our Lord, for Satan must always come close to the
godly and the strong--the others succumb from
a distance. -Fulton John Sheen (1895-1979)
      _The Eternal Galilean_ [1936]

"When I preach, I sink myself deep down. I regard neither doctors nor magistrates, of whom are here in this church above forty; but I have an eye to the multitude of young people, children, and servants, of whom are more than two thousand. I preach to those, directing myself to them that have need thereof. Will not the rest hear me? The door stands open unto them; they may be gone."Luther
 ·
What God needs to do in you always matters more than what you think he needs to do through you.-Sam Allberry

 4 truths on suffering:
1. This world’s not right
2. We’re not innocent
3. God’s not indifferent
4. This life’s not ultimate-Matt Smethurst‏

In Mere Christianity, C. S. Lewis famously wrote, “If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.” This fallen world is fundamentally dissatisfying. As Lewis explains, “Probably earthly pleasures were never meant to satisfy [our desire], but only to arouse it, to suggest the real thing.”

No comments:

Post a Comment