Search This Blog

Sunday 20 January 2019

HB Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson 21 Jan 1824-1863)

I like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is just the reason why I never drink it.
"Stonewall" Jackson (1824-1863) In "The Harper Book of Quotations," by Robert I. Fitzhenry, 1993.

Duty is ours; consequences are God's. GENERAL STONEWALL JACKSON

Captain Smith:
General, how is it that you can keep so serene, stay so utterly insensible with the storm, the shells and bullets running about your head?
General Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson: Captain Smith, my religious belief teaches me to feel as safe in battle as in bed. God has fixed the time for my death. I do not concern myself with that, but to be always ready whenever it may overtake me. That's the way all men should live, then all men would be equally brave.(Dialogue from the film _Gods and Generals_ [2003], screenplay by Ronald F. Maxwell)

No comments:

Post a Comment