Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 September 2018

Quotes Sep 26

Unless Western Christians turn from their ignorance, apathy and selfishness this stand in grave danger of the Lord's judgement. - Patrick Sookhdeo, The death of Western Christianity, p.54

"Mr Oncken told me that he was summoned before the burgomaster of Hamburg, who bade him cease from holding religious meetings. "Do you see that little finger?" cried he. "As long as I can move that finger I will put down the Baptists." "Yes", said Mr Oncken, "I see your little finger, and I also see a great arm which YOU cannot see. As long as the great arm of God is lifted on our behalf, your little finger will have no terror for us." "— C.H. Spurgeon

Trials and the hairbreadth escapes only strengthened my faith and nerves me for more to follow; and they trod swiftly enough upon each other's heels. Without that abiding consciousness of the presence and power of my Lord and saviour, nothing in the world could have preserved  me from losing my reason and perishing miserably. His words 'Lo I am with you always even until the end', it Became to me so real that it would not have startled me to behold Him, as Stephen did, gazing down upon the scene. It is the sober truth that I had my nearest and most intimate glimpses of the presence of my Lord in those dread moments when musket, club or spear was being levelled at my life. - John Paton, quoted in  Patrick Sookhdeo, The death of Western Christianity, p.54

No comments:

Post a Comment