Search This Blog

Wednesday 1 November 2017

Quotes for 1 Nov 17

3 Lies of Identity:
1. I am what I have
2. I am what I do
3. I am what other people say or think of me - Henri Nouwen‏ @HenriNouwen

“The state is fast becoming a secular church, the fount of moral legislation, and is busy imposing a uniformity of belief on its citizens as every bit as intrusive as the theocratic states of the past, where the distinction between church and state was likewise unknown.”- Alan Bekhor, Standpoint Magazine

Man is by his constitution a religious animal; atheism is against not only our reason, but our instincts.—Edmund Burke (1729-1797)_Reflections on the Revolution in France_ [1790]

Show me an absurdity in Religion, [and] I will undertake to show you a hundred in Political Laws and Institutions. --Edmund Burke (1729-1797) _A Vindication of Natural Society_ [1756]

Recently, in a restaurant, four college kids saw me, and, as I was standing at the salad bar, they laughed at me openly and made grotesque faces which mocked my appearance. The carnal part of me wanted to tear into those people, rip that guy's lips off.  But the Christ in me restrained me and helped me to see with pity the condition of their hearts that caused them to mock. --Dave Roever (1946-    ) _Welcome Home, Davey_ [1986], Chapter 17 (A Vietnam vet who was horribly disfigured when a phosphorous grenade he was about to  toss exploded next to his face while on patrol in Vietnam; July 26, 1969.)

No comments:

Post a Comment