Search This Blog

Tuesday 1 August 2017

Quotes 2 Aug 17 - Lord Alfred Douglas

Last night unto my bed bethought there came
Our lady of strange dreams, and from an urn
She poured live fire, so that mine eyes did burn
At the sight of it.  Anon the floating fame
Took many shapes, and one cried: “I am shame
That walks with Love, I am most wise to turn
Cold lips and limbs to fire; therefore discern
And see my loveliness, and praise my name.”

And afterwords, in radiant garments dressed
With sound of flutes and laughing of glad lips,
A pomp of all the passions passed along
All the night through; till the white phantom ships
Of dawn sailed in. Whereat I said this song,
“Of all sweet passions Shame is the loveliest.”
In Praise of Shame, Lord Alfred Douglas 1894 Douglas later denied that this was about homosexual love saying it concerned the shame of nakedness after the fall. But shame was a term for things homosexual then, hence now we have Pride.

‘Sweet youth,
Tell me why, sad and sighing, thou dost rove
These pleasent realms? I pray thee speak me sooth
What is thy name?' He said, ‘My name is Love.'
Then straight the first did turn himself to me
And cried, ‘He lieth, for his name is Shame,
But I am Love, and I was wont to be
Alone in this fair garden, till he came
Unasked by night; I am true Love, I fill
The hearts of boy and girl with mutual flame.'
Then sighing, said the other, ‘Have thy will,
I am the love that dare not speak its name.'
Two Loves, Lord Alfred Douglas
Douglas’s most famed line has now become the love shouted out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment