Search This Blog

Sunday 8 August 2010

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

I often say my prayers
But do I ever pray?
And do the wishes of my heart
Go with the words I say?

I may as well kneel down
And worship gods of stone,
As offer to the living God
A prayer of words alone.

For words without the heart
The Lord will never hear,
Nor will He to those lips attend
Whose prayers are not sincere.

Lord teach me what I need,
And teach me how to pray;
Nor let me ask Thy grace,
Not feeling what I say."
John Burton

Morality cannot be legislated, but behavior can be regulated. Judicial decrees may not change the heart, but they can restrain the heartless.- Martin Luther King, Jr, 1929 - 1968

We shall have to repent in this generation, not so much for the evil deeds of the wicked people, but for the appalling silence of the good people.- Martin Luther King, Jr, 1929 - 1968

Science investigates; religion interprets. Science gives man knowledge which is power; religion gives man wisdom which is control. Science deals mainly with facts; religion deals mainly with values. The two are not rivals. They are complementary.- Martin Luther King, Jr, 1929 - 1968

No comments:

Post a Comment