Search This Blog

Sunday 31 December 2017

Quotes New Year's Day 2018

Those who only consider Calvin as theologian do not understand the extent of his genius. The drawing up of our wise edicts, in which he played a large part, does him as much honour as his Institutes ... As long as love of the homeland and liberty s not extinguished among us, the memory of that great man will never cease to be blessed.- Jean-Jaques Rousseau, On the Social Contact, quoted in David B Calhoun, Knowing God and Ourselves, p 325

“I have a peaceful study, as a refuge from the hurries and noise of the world around me; the venerable dead are waiting in my library to entertain me, and relieve me from the nonsense of surviving mortals.” — Samuel Davies

“Only a fool loans books; half the books in my library were loaned.” - Ben Franklin

Never lend books, for no one ever returns them; the only books I have in my library are books that other people have lent me.– Anatole France

An exaggeration is a truth that has lost its temper. -Kahlil Gibran

No comments:

Post a Comment