Search This Blog

Friday 4 November 2011

The world's theology is easy to define. It is the view that
human beings are basically good, that no one is really lost,
that belief in Jesus Christ is not necessary for salvation.
Such capitulation is common in some church circles. When I was
speaking at [certain conferences], a section of my paper had to
do with human lostness. I discussed it as a motivation for
mission: we take the Gospel of Jesus Christ to others because
they are lost without it. In every consultation, that point in
my paper aroused anger on the part of those listening. Some
were infuriated. Nearly all were dissatisfied. Each time, as I
moved into that section of the paper, people began to shift,
cough, move. When I finished, it was the part of the paper they
brought up for objection.- James Montgomery Boice (1938-2000), Foundation of the Christian Faith, InterVarsity Press, 1986, p. 674

What is worst of all is to advocate Christianity, not
because it is true, but because it might prove useful... To
justify Christianity because it provides a foundation of
morality, instead of showing the necessity of Christian
morality from the truth of Christianity, is a very dangerous
inversion; and we may reflect that a good deal of the attention
of totalitarian states has been devoted with a steadiness of
purpose not always found in democracies, to providing their
national life with a foundation of morality--the wrong kind,
perhaps, but a good deal more of it. It is not enthusiasm, but
dogma, that differentiates a Christian from a pagan society.-T. S. Eliot (1888-1965), The Idea of a Christian Society, London: Faber, 1939, reprint, Boston: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 1960, p. 46-47

I won the nickname the great communicator. But I never thought it was my style that made a difference, it was the content. I wasn't a great communicator, but I communicated great things. .- Ronald Reagan, 1911 - 2004

I do not believe in a fate that will fall on us no matter what we do. I do believe in a fate that will fall on us if we do nothing.-
Ronald Reagan, 1911 - 2004

No comments:

Post a Comment